The objectives of this project are:
- To identify, present and communicate the opportunities from the Corona crisis for coal phase-out;
- To develop a positive (e.g. no-lose or even win-win) vision on the coal regions in transition;
- To discuss and list the principle elements of the transition;
- To develop a list of questions and operational recommendations on what to do next, addressed to the European Commission, member states, regional governments, industry and other stakeholders.
Deliverables of this project include:
- The publication of a Policy Brief (Deliverable 1), which will be presented to key stakeholders within the European institutions and funding organisations (Deliverable 2). The outcomes of these meetings will be summarised in a “Responses Summary Report” (Deliverable 3).
- A substantive policy report developing the concept further (Deliverable 4).
- Two online workshops to discuss the findings of the PolicyBrief and Policy Report, with the aim to i) create awareness among stakeholders, ii) allow key stakeholders to comment on the concept and improve it, iii) create a sense of European-wide ownership, and iv) establish an informal ‘accelerated transition’ network. (Deliverable 5)
- Optional workshops in key member states (e.g. Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania ) are also considered.