CEPS is supporting through a partnership the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in implementing the project ‘Mainstreaming coherent and effective sustainable consumption and production policies, including through circular economy models: Best practices and recommendations’. The project is conducted in the context of the implementation of Resolution 1 on Innovative Pathways to achieve Sustainable Consumption and Production (UNEP/EA.4/Res. 1) and will result in recommendations for consideration at UNEA-5 in February 2021.
The purpose of this online consultation is to explore how coherent product policies can support a systemic transformation i.e. a profound change on how we consume and how we produce, to successfully transition to an inclusive and sustainable future. Building on member states’ experience and recommended solutions, recommendations will be formulated and submitted for UNEA-5 attention.
The online consultation will be structured around the following key questions:
- How impactful product policies have been in your region to decouple economic growth from environmental degradation?
- What are the enabling conditions for higher impact of product policies and to create further coherence among them?
- How is the region performing in identifying and taking up innovative design practices of products/services, which minimize harmful environmental impacts?
- What are the requirements to replicate and scale up these design practices?
- What role UNEP, the UN system and the wider international community should play in addressing gaps and challenges highlighted during the above discussions?
The event is open to representatives from UNEP Member States in the pan-European region, Central Asia and in the Northern America region (United States of America and Canada).