The Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), Wavestone Advisors, the Institute of Communication and Computer Science (ICCS), TNO Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research and KOMIS, have worked on a study about how to accelerate the growth of the data-based economy and support the development of B2B platforms in Europe, focusing on two sectors: automotive and healthcare. The project was funded by the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME) and the European Commission.
Over the past two years, the study team has developed two technical pilots to enhance data sharing, and an accompanying analysis of regulatory barriers, market deficiencies and policy recommendations.
The two pilots, one for each sector, were presented and discussed with experts during four rounds of workshops that took place between April 2019 and October 2020. For the healthcare sector, the pilot on a high quality, diabetes-related data repository demonstrates an architecture for the fair and equal sharing of health data from different sources and regions. For the automotive sector, the pilot provides an approach to cooperative, connected and automated mobility with the introduction of a ‘shared server solution’.
The final conference will present the results of the study and discuss the main lessons learned with policymakers and stakeholders. In this vein, it will be a platform to share the policy recommendations and action plans identified by the study team.
- Andrea Renda, Senior Research Fellow and Head of Global Governance, Regulation, Innovation & Digital Economy Unit, CEPS
- Juergen Imhoff, Senior Digital Adviser, Microsoft
Expert panel session
- Stephane Dreher, Senior Manager – Connectivity, Automation and Blockchain, ERTICO
- Ricardo Jardim-Gonçalves, Professor, Faculty of Sciences and Technology, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa
- Jaana Sinipuro, Project Director responsible for the Human-driven data economy focus area, Sitra
- Jelena Malinina, Digital Health Policy Officer, BEUC
- Anastasia Dimou, Post-Doc Researcher in Semantic Web and Linked Open Data Technologies, Gent University
Research Team Speakers
- Dimitris Askounis, Professor – Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering – National Technical University of Athens, ICCS – NTUA
- Aggelos Amditis, Research Director of the Institute of Communication and Computer Systems, ICCS – NTUA
- Konstantinos Tzamaloukas, Teaching and Research Associate – Project Manager, ICCS – NTUA
- Georgios Tsimiklis, Project Manager, ICCS – NTUA
- Andre Boorsma, Senior Researcher Life Sciences, TNO
- Jildau Bouwman, Program Leader Digital health – Senior Scientist Systems Biology – Microbiology and Systems Biology, TNO
Next steps – Closing remarks
- Andrei Bunis, Policy Officer at DG for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (DG GROW), European Commission
- Raul Zaharie, Project Officer at the Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (EASME), European Commission
The event will be organised online through the ZOOM video conferencing system. Further information about the agenda and connection details will be published closer to the date of the event.
This event is free of charge and open to the public; registration is required. Registered participants will receive instructions on how to join this event closer to the time.