After having pursued a career spanning 38 years with the EU institutions, during which he assumed various responsibilities both at Headquarters and more particularly in the EU’s External Service, Erwan Fouéré has joined CEPS as an Associate Senior Research Fellow.
His area of research is on the EU’s role in the Balkans, seen from various angles (security & stability, enlargement, domestic politics), with a specific focus on Macedonia. More generally, he will also assess the impact of the Lisbon Treaty on the EU’s performance, with specific reference to the role of EU Special Representatives.
Prior to joining CEPS, Erwan Fouéré’s most recent appointment was as Special Representative for the Irish 2012 Chairmanship of the OSCE, with special responsibility for the Transdniestrian settlement process. He was the first to assume joint responsibilities of EU Special Representative and Head of Delegation in the EU External Service when he was appointed in this double capacity in Macedonia (2005), where he served for five years up to his retirement from the EU Institutions. Before that, he was Head of Delegation in Slovenia leading to accession, the first Head of Delegation in South Africa (1994) and the first Head of EC Delegations in Mexico and Cuba (1989). He was also Deputy Head of the Delegation for Relations with Latin America based in Caracas (1984). At headquarters, he worked successively on the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe (CSCE) and relations with East European Countries, on international relations in the field of the environment, and on EU relations with the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
He was a post graduate research assistant at the Max Kohnstamm Institute for European Affairs (1970-72), and a Guest Scholar at the Brookings Institution (1983). He has lectured at several European universities on EU Foreign and Security Policy, and was a regular contributor to EU Masters Course of Human Rights (2000-2010).
His external publications include:
– “Dialogue and Wider Engagement in Post-conflict Peace Processes”, in S. Crozier and S. Yee (eds.), Preparing for Peace: Communications in Conflict Resolution (Vienna, OSCE 2012), 9-15
– “Ten Years On, Macedonia Still Awaits Closure”, Balkan Insight, 24 August 2011
– ”Meeting the Expectations and Fulfilling the Obligations – Macedonia and the EU Enlargement Strategy”, (2007) Crossroads- Macedonian Foreign Policy Journal, 195-203
– ”Macedonia’s Perspectives for EU Membership”, (2006) Sudost Europa Mitteilungen, 51-55
– ”Continued EU Assistance to bolster South Africa’s Democracy”, (1994) RSA Review, 10-17
– ”Emerging Trends in International Environmental Agreements”, in J.E. Carroll (ed.), International Environmental Diplomacy (Cambridge University Press, 1988), 29-44.
Erwan Fouéré was awarded the Order of Good Hope, Grand Officer, by President Mandela (January 1998).