A Digital Presidency. Takeaways from Estonia's programme for a Digital Europe
Estonia is synonymous with transparent and efficient e-services - and the Estonian Presidency of the European Council aims to accelerate the adoption of a digital Europe. Since June, Estonia has lead negotiations on a series of important digital issues and hosted an extensive range of digital events, culminating in this high level summit in Brussels.
Around 350 participants will hear Estonian Prime Minister Jüri Ratas, European Commission Vice President Andrus Ansip and CEPS chairman and former European Commissioner Joaquin Almunia offer a progress report. The Norwegian government will explain its exciting Digital North initiative. Participants will hear from a series of exciting private sector keynote speakers led by Microsoft’s John Franks, Index Venture’s Neil Rimer and Skype founder Jaan Tallinn. A total of 15 workshops on a broad range of digital policymaking issues will be held.
Come debate how to achieve the proper regulatory balance between digital opportunity and digital dangers. Disruptive technology can improve the effectiveness of public institutions and the well-being of EU citizens. Just as it offers gigantic opportunities, however, the digital revolution frightens many citizens, making them fearful of losing their personal privacy or their traditional jobs.
09:00-09:30 Registration and welcome coffee
09:30-10:45 Opening Plenary
- Prime Minister of Estonia, Jüri Ratas
- European Commission Vice President, Andrus Ansip
- State Secretary Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation, Paul Chaffey
- CEPS Chairman and former European Commissioner, Joaquin Almunia
- Index Ventures Founder, Neil Rimer
- Microsoft Vice President for EU Government Affairs, John Frank
10:45-11:15 Coffee Break
11:15-12:15 Panel Streams
- Free movement of data: The Fifth Freedom
- eGovernment: Can Europe Embrace eGovernment?
- eCommerce: Progress of the Digital Single Market
- Smart Economy: The Connectivity Challenge
- Trust and Security: Evaluating the EU's New cybersecurity strategy
13:00-13:45 Plenary Session: Tax Collecting:Benefits from Digitalisation.
14:00-15:00 Panel Streams
- Free movement of data: Legal claims between GDPR and ePrivacy
- eGovernment: Can Digital drive Development?
- eCommerce: Copyright in the Digital Age
- Smart Economy: High Performance Computing – The race for global leadership
- Trust and Security: Building a Credible Cyber Cooperation Landscape in the EU
15:00-15:30 Coffee Break
15:30- 16:30 Panel Streams
- Free movement of data: The Opportunity of Digital Health
- eGovernment: Defending Online Freedom of Expression
- eCommerce: Filling Digital Tax Holes
- Smart Economy: Truck Drivers, Coders and Skills for the New Digital World
- Trust and Security: Forging a Common EU Diplomatic Response to Cyber Attacks
16:30-17:00 Closing Fireside Chat Skype Founder, Jaan Tallinn
17:00-18:00 Networking Reception